I’ve been tagged once again. Back in October, I was tagged for the 2014 WIP tour.
Today, I’m responding to the One Lovely Blog Tour, a fun-oriented tour that I first heard about from Carol Bodensteiner’s post last month. I discovered a few great blogs I’d never heard of before from that post and I thank Carol for it. But she didn’t tag me. Bummer. 🙂
Instead, my tags came from Mary Gottschalk — whose memoir Sailing Down the Moonbeam was eerily similar to my Two Years on the Kazakh Steppe — and Kathy Pooler, whose memoir of her escape from domestic violence, Ever Faithful To His Lead, was not.
At least that’s what I thought initially. But more on that in a later blog.
The rules for the One Lovely Blog Tour are similar to the WIP Tour
- Thank the person who nominated you and link to that blog (Check; see above)
- Share seven things about yourself.
- Nominate bloggers you admire (as many as you can think of!)
Here are the seven things about myself: How many do you already know?
1. I met my current husband for the first time on the Internet in 1989 (this story has future blog post possibilities).
2. I almost dated Elton John (this would definitely make a good blog post).
3. I sold Good Humor ice cream from a truck one summer (this one wouldn’t).
4. I worked on 42nd St. in NYC while in undergrad school at NYU (yup, it’s half written already)
5. I was a pool lifeguard for one summer. (Hmmm, maybe a single blog about the crazy jobs I’ve had over the years. When you start low, your career trajectory really soars)
6. I’ve had over twenty mailings addresses in over 7 states (big yawn), beginning in a large city just outside Manhattan, and ending now, on 30 acres in Vermont.
7. My father died on Valentines’ Day in 1956. He was the navigator on a small plane piloted by Whitey Ford, a former mercenary in the Spanish Civil War. (Now there’s a story)
The blogs I’m nominating are an eclectic mix; I encourage you to check them out; subscribe. As I’ve found, one can always unsubscribe if it turns out to be not your cup of tea after all. Sometimes it takes reading a few over time to see if it’s a fit. Here, in alphabetical order, are eleven “lovely blogs,” ones I’ve enjoyed over the past year and a half or so:
- Becky Povich Young At Heart
- Debra Eve Late Bloomers
- Jan J Jan My Little Corner of the World
- Jerry Waxler Memory Writers Network
- Joan Z. Rough One Rich Life
- Krista Tippett On Being
- L. E. Carmichael Life, the Universe, and Everything
- Laurie Buchanan Tuesdays with Laurie
- Pamela Olson Fast Times in Palestine
- Susan Joyce Blog
- Tim Urban Wait But Why
Again, the small print: None of these authors need feel obligated to participate. This is certainly not a chain letter threatening dire consequenses if you don’t play. If it’s not for you, if it comes at a bad time, no fret. I’ll still read your blog. Think of it as a game, one that should be fun. Cheers.
How about you? Are these blogs new to you? I hope you’ll check them out.
[box] Interested in reading At Home on the Kazakh Steppe? I hope so.
Click here for the PAPERBACK and eBook versions. Amazon makes it easy. And, you can always order it from your local independent bookstore.
If you’ve read it, leaving a review on Amazon will help bring me closer to being able to offer a weekend with a discounted price. (just in time for you to fill your family’s Christmas stockings) 🙂 [/box]