This is a post about time.
The speed with which it flies past us
The way in which it finds irrelevant the many choices confronting us
Sounds lofty, huh?
It’s actually a post about how I’ve been wanting to get my WordPress.org website fixed — it’s been three weeks I think, maybe four — but I keep waiting for a lump of time long enough to
(1) stay on hold for an extended period of time without getting snippy and
(2) have the attention span to attend to what the tech person (finally) tells me.
Yes, four weeks now.
It started when I upgraded my site to WP 5.1.1
I’ve not had a problem before.
Here’s what the problems are:
- I can’t schedule a post. The edit button is still there, but nothing happens when I click it. SO, I can write the post and publish the post. But if I write it on Sunday, as I like to do, I must wait until late Tuesday night to publish it if I want to stay on my regular schedule (and I do; why will remain for a future post).
- I can’t add photos, images, “media.” I can add them to my media library; I just can’t seem to embed them into a post. So, my posts have gone out image-less these past few weeks. That’s particularly irksome when it comes to sharing to facebook. Facebook likes images.
- I can’t add a featured image either.
- I can’t add tags.
- I don’t get a word count any longer. It always reads 0, no matter how long the post is.
- I can’t change the title once I’ve got one.
- And all my Learn More windows seem to be empty. The text appears when I’m in edit mode, but once I save it for public consumption, poof, off they go.
I imagine there are other things I now cannot do that I have just not yet discovered. I’m trusting my website host will maybe reload the site from a backup. Isn’t that something someone can do?
And so, once again, we are here on a Tuesday night. Well, I guess it’s just me, here on a Tuesday night. You’ll still see this on Wednesday morning; MailChimp hasn’t gone all goofy on me (yet?).
I swore (to myself; very softly) last week that by this week’s post, I’d have it fixed. And here we are once again.
Where did the time go? See, that’s what’s really on my mind. Where did the week go? What happened to it? What else did I accomplish? What did I choose over getting this fixed? I’m sure it seemed important at the time but, truly, I now have no idea.
I have a great post ready for next week when I’ll introduce you to a new man in my life. (Don’t worry; Woody has not been replaced. Hmmm, not sure that sounds any better). I have photos to include, too. But won’t post it if I can’t get these wrinkles ironed out. Please, cross your fingers for me, wish me luck, do a dance.
P.S. It’s 7:35 pm. I’ll go watch some Netflix with Woody and come back in a few hours to hit the Publish button. We’ve been following Borgen, a Danish “Madam Secretary” type drama. It’s gratifying to watch the Danish Prime Minister solve the myriad problems she faces within the 55 minutes the show runs. How nice.
See you next week (I hope).
UPDATE midnight Friday: just got an email from my host telling me it’s all fixed. I can now add photos. I can tag. I have a word count. I’ve added a featured image. I’ll have to check the other two tomorrow. BUT, I now also get a gigantic warning message at the top of my desktop:
jQuery Migrate Helper — Warnings encountered